Friday, September 14, 2012

The New Glee Club: Yay/Nay for Glee 4x01, "The New Rachel"

The first thing we see in the season four premiere episode is Rachel getting told that she sucks. It's oddly reminiscent of Sandy Ryerson's assertion back in season one, when Rachel is separated from the Glee club for the first time. This time, though, instead of running off to cry in the bathroom, Rachel tries to push past the negativity from her new dance teacher, Cassandra July, and takes it with a strange yet nervous poise, even when she has been dubbed "Little Miss David Schwimmer."And thus, we see the beginning of a change in Rachel Berry. The New Rachel, indeed.

I don't know what exactly I was expecting from this episode, but it certainly wasn't what was presented. The tone is different, and it's apparent almost immediately. The absurdity is still there, as is the humor. Jacob Ben Israel is still the gossip center of McKinley. Tina has a freshman assistant who brings her cupcakes and bananas. Sam does a fabulous Taylor Lautner impression. Artie still likes judging people directing. But as the episode and the race to find "The New Rachel" progresses, it's clear that there is a newness that everyone is trying to reach: "The New New Directions," as is written on the marker board in the choir room. Reinvention. Identity, both false and true. A humble, serious side that hasn't really been around since season one or even the beginning of season three. The show has grown up along with its characters, and its heart is bigger than ever.

In the past, I've handled these yay/nay posts with bullet points, and I think, for the most part, I will stick with that format. I wondered though, after seeing this episode, if I might try formatting it a little differently as the season wears on, to be determined as each new episode airs. We'll see.

So. On to the Yay/Nay.

Nay: New Directions' attitude as they try to understand and navigate their newfound popularity, both in making fun of others and fighting to be the lead star when ND has never functioned the same way Vocal Adrenaline was. Not to mention forgetting who they are. Tina especially. I was glad to see them overcome this attitude by the end of the episode; and as much as it bothered me, I love how it functioned. It carried over nicely from the "Props" episode in season three. But I don't think I could stand seeing Tina's diva or Blaine being bossy and unaccepting for longer than an episode--that's just not who they are as people. As the cliche goes, with great power comes great responsibility. (And now I want to watch Spiderman...)

Yay: Brody. It's early, yet, but he seems cool. It's likely he's not who he seems, however, as we've seen before with Jesse St. James. I'm keeping my eye on him. He's the first to recognize that Rachel is changing.

Yay: I LOVE how Unique refers to herself in the third person. I can definitely see why Wade was so keen to be her, completely. She is incredible.

On the fence: Mr. Schue this entire episode. He didn't let Jake finish, but allowed Marley an entire song at auditions. He chastised the Glee club for forgetting their strengths as a team of unique, talented, amazing individuals, yet pointed out Marley's "star quality." Why is he always all over the place?

Yay: The honesty and emotional weight in Kurt's situation in this episode. As Blaine points out, Kurt is stuck. He's working at the Lima Bean, preparing for classes at the local community college, but something isn't right--it isn't where he's meant to be. His destiny is bigger than what Lima can provide. Even Burt, the best dad to ever be on television, points out that Kurt is meant to be New York. (I wonder about Finn and am eager to see what's happening with him in future episodes--Finn felt stuck, too.)

Yay: Kurt's enthusiasm for the auditions and maintaining the philosophy that ND has so carefully built up over the last three years. Kurt has been a part of ND since day one. He has had his moments, but he still remembers what the club is about, even when everyone else has seemed to have forgotten it. I wish Tina, another one of the original members, would remember that. Artie kinda does.

Yay: Cassandra July. She intrigues me. Deconstructing Glee has some brilliant thoughts on her character. (DG also points out how crazy it was that people who auditioned for ND didn't all get chosen. I totally agree.)

Yay: HUMMELBERRY IS BACK, and Burt is awesome. *warm fuzzies*

Yay: I absolutely adore both Marley and her mother. (Has there ever really been a character like Marley on Glee so far?) She has a big heart, she seems humble, and she is not afraid to stand up for others. Marley's mom is a sweetheart. (Every scene...MY HEART.) I am excited to see Marley's arch this season.

Question: I am super curious to find out how and why Jake knows about Puck, but Puck doesn't know about Jake. (Jake, in general, is very interesting to me.)

Yay: "Chasing Pavements" was the absolute best song this episode could have ended with.

Yay: Rachel dealing with her homesickness and distress from her first week at NYADA. Beautiful character development.

Nay: I didn't care much for "Call Me Maybe." I mean, it sounded okay--but just okay. (Mostly I didn't like to see Unique, Blaine, Tina, and Brittany pushing each other around.)

Yay: BUT... I LOVED Blaine's "ta da" thing he did right at the end of the number. Heehee.

Yay: As much as it annoyed me, I was fascinated with Blaine's attitude this episode. This should be an interesting season for Blaine, methinks.

Yay: The Imagine Dragons Flash Mob. *adds "flash mobs" to this season's wishlist*

Nay: Everyone discouraging Wade from being Unique.

Interesting: Kitty used "garçon" and Brittany used "merci" when talking to Kurt. Puck has used some French in previous episodes.

Yay: I don't think Brittany meant what she said about Marley's mother in a mean way; she was just being Brittany.

Nay: I did miss the other graduated seniors this episode. The dynamic without them is so, so different. (But I'm very glad that the split narrative thing seems to be working so far. We'll see as the season progresses.)

Yay: Stoner Brett is the best.

Interesting: Everyone in Lima, according to Marley's mother, thinks that Rachel's headed straight to Broadway. It's interesting how this belief is juxtaposed with Rachel's current reality in feeling like a failure while trying to adjust to life at NYADA. And I think it's also very truthful to the experience of living in a small town, especially in the Midwest. I wonder how the other NYADA hopefuls we saw from season 3 are faring. Are they in a similar position to Rachel, or are they living their fantasy?

Yay: I'm with Blaine on this one: Kurt doesn't need NYADA. There are other paths to achieve what he's destined to achieve. (Fashion, perhaps? From what has been revealed about Sarah Jessica Parker's character...)

Yay: I'm so glad that ND recognizes how awful Kitty and the rest of the popular kids are being.

Interesting: "Order's been restored." Everyone snaps out of their false identity, their bad attitudes evaporated. And then, of course, the slushies are back. Also, did anyone else notice that Rachel's the only one wearing red in her dance class?

Yay: New Directions is actually rehearsing. A performance that's still in the works: unperfected, raw. They're rebuilding.

No comments:

Post a Comment