Thursday, September 13, 2012

Glee Season 4 Wishlist

So. The new season of Glee starts tonight. I've been careful not to spoil myself too much with information that has been released. I felt like I was much too spoiled for the majority of season three, so my new season's resolutions include the determination to stay away from things that could ruin my enjoyment of watching each new episode.

Many of the things I talked about before season 3 still stand, for the most part, especially if it wasn't addressed. This year, though, I'm more worried than I thought I'd be. The first half of season 3 was really good. The last half, while enjoyable, however, fell into something of a confusion similar to how things were going for the first five episodes of season 2. There were things that were beautifully done, and things that weren't handled well, not to mention the few stray random things that just didn't sit well. With that being said, I think season 3 was much stronger than season 2 was.

But enough about that. On to the wishlist.

Story, Plot, and Characters

I definitely want them to continue with story and character development, as they tried to maintain throughout last season. I think they are most successful when the conflict lies within the characters and their respective relationships and grand plans rather than random bits of "whimsy" that don't necessarily make sense within the grand scheme of things.

But, anyway.


  • Please, oh please, no more dumb, annoying proposals and engagements, unless it actually makes sense within the development of the characters and their relationships. Will and Emma are fine, but I just want them to show the wedding and be done with it. I wasn't too keen on the Finn/Rachel engagement thing that they carried through the last half of season 3. It didn't carry them further forward; it only brought Rachel back five steps and left Finn even more confused than before about what his real dream was. My opinion is that it was a grand disservice to their characters and their relationship. 
  • I want Finn to find something that will make sense as a path for him. The whole acting thing was crazy. That's not his passion. And has it been that? I mean, really? He needs to find a niche. (And I don't think joining the military is going to help...)
  • I LOVE the crazy episode scenarios, even if they seem a little random. The Christmas special, the "Props" episode where they switch bodies, the mattress commercial, Fondue for Two--there's just something so special and silly and wonderful when these scenarios pop up. And it's so Glee
  • On the other hand, I absolutely love the normal, true-to-life scenarios, and the show has proven that they handle them really well. The yearbook photos from Season 1, the anti-prom attempt in Season 3, Kurt and Rachel's heart-to-heart after they see the NYADA hopefuls, the beautifully-handled conflict when they put on West Side Story, bits and pieces of the class presidential race, Tina and Rachel driving to talk to Carmen, Artie encouraging Quinn as she attempts to reach the top of the handicapped ramp, Kurt trying to cheer Blaine up with the stuffed animal won at Six Flags etc. These moments are when the show feels the most truthful. It's the little things, you know? 
  • I want Lauren Zizes back on the show. 
  • More Sam impressions. More Unique. More Rory. 
  • I'm eager to see Blake from the Glee Project on the show, but I have yet to see the season finale for GP, so at this point, I'm not totally sure what his character is going to be. 
  • Slight spoiler: the first episode for this season is called "The New Rachel." I'm not sure how I feel about this, and will likely return to the subject in the 4x01 Yay/Nay segment in a few days.
  • I just really want this season to be successful. I'm excited to see how New Directions functions as, basically, a brand new club. The vibe is going to be interesting, and I'm super excited to see how they handle the story lines with the characters so spread out. (My worry is that this will fail; I don't want anyone to be forgotten or overlooked. It could get very messy.)


The Song Wishlist

I did read one thing that said they'd be doing "Don't Speak" by No Doubt which makes me SUPER HAPPY, but I'm worried I will be disappointed. (When they did one of my favorite songs ever, "In My Life" by The Beatles, I was elated...and then I heard their version and wanted to cry because it was mediocre. I can't listen to it to this day. I was so, so disappointed.)

I also hear they're doing "It's Time" by Imagine Dragons. *fist pump*

In addition to the songs I listed last season, here are some of the songs I hope them to include this time around.


  • "Everytime," one of my favorites from Britney Spears. They're doing another Britney episode. I don't know if this is one of the songs they're doing or not. *fingers crossed*
  • I wonder how they'd handle a Disney-themed or '90s boy band episode...???
  • Spice Girls. Kurt and Rachel mentioned it in season 3. I can't unthink it, and that's good because I really want them to do one of their songs. 
  • Speaking of '90s songs, something by Alanis Morissette. 
  • "Virtual Insanity" by Jamiroquai. And I think it would be really cool for them to try recreating the video. With Artie (in dream dance sequence?) or Joe Hart singing of course. (Samuel did wonders with "Stereo Hearts.")
  • Any song by the All-American Rejects. Particularly "Another Heart Calls" or "Kids In The Street."
  • Have they done anything by ELO? Can that happen? (See also: The Cars.)

Season 4 is going to feel so very different. But hopefully in the best way possible. Until the next Yay/Nay. 

2 comments:

  1. I am still trying to decide if I even want to watch it, but you bring up some great points. And I want to see and Disney and Boy Band episode so bad now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My roommate and I have been dreaming of a Disney episode for ages. How cool would that be? *daydreams*

    Have you watched the first episode yet? It was really good (much stronger than I thought it would be, and I was terrified it was going to be terrible), and I'm eager to see where they take things this season. The new characters are a lot of fun, so I think it's worth it to check it out.

    ReplyDelete