Thursday, April 21, 2011

Start the Commotion

Since getting my Mac, Marcel Duchamp, back in August, I have been slowly adding music to my iTunes, adding a few albums at a time. A few weeks ago, I was adding some of the compilations I'd purchased back in high school, and rediscovered a version of the song "Start the Commotion" by The Wiseguys.




I hadn't heard or thought about it in a long time; I'd even forgotten I had a version of it. I was excited about it again, and ever since then, I've been listening to it a lot. I even looked up the video on YouTube, and was stoked to catch all the references--including but not limited to James Brown, the Rolling Stones, and possibly The Everly Brothers?--and found myself loving the song even more than before.

I don't know what The Wiseguys were actually trying to achieve with the song. But I love the idea that they could have wanted to pay tribute--or at least play with--the beauty of how music was in the '50s, '60s, and '70s. (It's just a theory I have. They could have had some other kind of objective when putting it together.) Music changed so much within that 20ish-year period, and without those changes, things would be very different, I think.

Whatever their intention was, I still enjoy the song for what it is. It's very much a Thursday song.

No comments:

Post a Comment