Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Quick Thoughts, Glee 3x07, "I Kissed A Girl"

Okay. So as soon as the semester's over, I'm going to go more in depth with all the episodes I haven't been able to talk about yet. But for right now, this'll have to do.

I have a lot of love for last night's episode--and I am a firm believer that this season is kick-ass and each episode gets progressively better--but there are a few things I wasn't sure about among the things I adored.

First, linkage: Some really incredible thoughts on Santana and Beiste in relation to feminism, as well as a few more thoughts from Deconstructing Glee responding to Dorothy Snarker's thoughts, also regarding similar issues. And then, of course, SillyGleek guest-blogging on DG with what is essentially an open letter to the characters as of the end of the episode. Preach!

Some quick thoughts:

  • I am a firm believer that despite the issues brought up in the first two links (with which I agree), Finn had his heart in the right place with the lesson. Finn is not an inconsiderate (insert adjective here) person. (This also goes for his outing of Santana.) He's 17/18 years old. He has flaws. I don't expect him to understand everything about the world at this point. He's slowly learning, and that's all I can hope for. Don't forget about how far he's come since Season 1. 
  • Mike Chang is love. He was my favorite in the voting booth montage. 
  • What the bloody hell is up with Puck's mohawk?! Did anyone else notice that it's long enough to part at the crown of his head?!
  • I can't really wrap my head around Cooter and Sue's "history." Did anyone else find that out of the blue, or am I just slow at putting the pieces together? Mostly I'm frustrated because Coach Beiste a) deserves some kind of happiness but b) Cooter was kind of a douche to her and also because c) the points so beautifully stated in the tumblr post I linked to above. Don't let Beiste lose her awesomeness. Please. I beg you. 
  • Mercedes....I pine for the time you and Kurt were BFFs. (I do think it's interesting that there is a kind of shift in the relationship, though. Friendships will change over the years.)
  • SHELBY. WHY? SERIOUSLY. This is so messed up. *throws up hands* And while we're on the subject...
  • PUCK. WTF IS GOING ON WITH YOU? And most especially, WHY DID YOU TELL QUINN?! UGH. Things are going to get worse. Remember Pacey Witter from Dawson's Creek? This is serious stuff.  
  • I don't think I could ever hate Brittany in a million years. 
  • Santana was especially cruel this episode. I wanted to smack her for her reaction to Kurt and Blaine singing to her. But...
  • I also wanted to punch the guy who wanted to make her "normal." Society is messed up. If one considers the way that Kurt was bullied and mistreated, the way the world (or in this case, WMHS) is treating Santana is both similar and different, but just as awful. I was disgusted. Not cool, society. 
  • Also, the scene in which Santana comes out to her abuela made me want to bawl my eyes out. I just want Santana to be happy and have the support she needs from the ones she loves. :(
  • Rachel can be very frustrating sometimes, but I still love her as a character, and I was so proud that she admitted to Principal Figgins that she was the one to stuff the ballot box. 
  • Kurt's voiceover in the voting booth: "If I lose, I don’t have a chance of getting into NYADA. It’s not fair. The difference between my dreams coming true and managing a Sonic Burger depends on how many people check a stupid box." This killed me. Sonic Burger... *cries* I hope you get in. And I agree with SillyGleek's guest post: you have a whole bunch of kick-ass credentials. Don't give up!! (More on this and Finn's similar concerns about the future at a later date. This is an important thread this season.)
  • Kurt and Blaine this episode, from "Perfect" to their little moments. They're just so supportive and in tune with one another. I love them so much. Always and forever, they are amazing. <3 (I love SillyGleek's comments to Blaine. YES SO MUCH SO. Hehe.)
More as soon as I get the chance. It was a great episode.

Edit: Also, I hope Kurt knows that, if he is not accepted into NYADA, there are other options in NY and elsewhere. I just want him to find a place he can be happy and fulfill his dreams. You know? 

No comments:

Post a Comment