Sunday, July 3, 2011

Before I Dive Back Into Essay-Writing Classwork....

...one more thing about Klaine. Behold, the final skit from Glee Live 2011. (Also, this better quality video of the same skit.)

After crowns and fuzzy hats and marriage proposals and bridges and leprechauns and commemorative plates and all of the other bits of cleverness and wit that have come about from every single version of it, this.

Some people probably wouldn't totally understand what Glee itself is and what it represents, and definitely not how attached fans get to Kurt and Blaine's relationship (not that that's a bad thing; to each his/her own). And for those who love the show (and the relationship as well), it varies due to how they take it. For me, the show means a lot of different things (many of which I will talk about at length another time), and some of them are hard for me to explain because they're so complex.

The thing with Kurt and Blaine for me, however, is not just because Kurt is my favorite character--though that was part of what it started from. There was something there from the moment that the two meet that connected them to one another. I am strictly what the internet knows as a "Kurt/Happiness" shipper, so I was most concerned with Kurt finding someone that would provide him the happiness he deserves. So I was glad that Kurt had found a mentor, confidant, and friend in Blaine; and if it turned out that they would ultimately remain friends, I was okay with that. But as time when on, however, the relationship started growing and building up from this strong camaraderie they share. And unlike some other couples on the show*, the development (including the character development for both of them!) took its time, so that by the time we got to "Original Song", their admiration--and that kiss--was whole-heartedly deserved. (There are some other really important things that tie/lead into this moment, but that's for another post.)

And then there's the fact that Kurt and Blaine mean so much to so many people, and the characters themselves are brilliantly written (i.e. while they have their good moments, they are also flawed, which is fabulous and makes them seem so much better for one another) and are portrayed positively. Seeing that moment when it finally clicks in Blaine's head, and then later, when he is honest with Kurt about his feelings? Powerful, so beyond so, even. I see what they have as on par with the kind of relationship that Finn and Rachel have--though there are some significant differences, they're relationship feels like it will last a helluvah lot longer than a couple of episodes.

I guess one of the things I love so very much about this skit is that reflects that dynamic that they have on the show--as the other versions of the skit have. There's the genius of Chris Colfer**, once again, with that heartfelt reading of the beautiful, hysterical, clever poem (and I second the motion about those who call Kurt a stereotype, because while there may be a few elements that seem like a stereotype, the character most certainly is not). And then there's Darren Criss' response, which is wonderful as always. And Kurt's reaction, where he seems to float a little, then collapses in bliss, is both hilarious and wonderful. I'd imagine that that's what love does to a person, you know? It catches you off guard, then carries you off.

And though my main concern is still that Kurt is happy--I want him to be happy with whoever he ends up with, whether it would be Blaine or not--and that if he and Blaine are not meant by the power of the writers to remain together, I think I might be a little bummed if they break up. Because, you know, there'd have to be a good reason for it and they'd have to prove to me that anyone else is worthy of Kurt. He and Blaine just seem to fit each other.

And now I'm off to finish up this class. I am easily distracted...

*coughQuinn&Samcough

**Seriously though. Chris Colfer is awesome. He's clever, he's intelligent, he's witty, he's a brilliant actor, and so talented. He is the king of cool points as far as I'm concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment