Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Tiny Blue Room

The Tiny Blue Room is not actually blue. Let me make that clear. The walls are white, but the closet (which is proportionately tiny to the room it accompanies) is an inexplicable faded pink color. There are mirrors attached to both the door and the closet door. I don't know why; I thought one would be enough, but perhaps the previous resident thought differently.

The room itself is not outrightly visible when one walks in the front door nor through the dining room from the kitchen. It's tucked in the corner next to the somewhat shoddy upstairs bathroom. It is the smallest bedroom in our whole house. It is also the room I'll be living in for the next year.

I'm still on the fence about our new house. I know that once we settle in, and clear out the boxes and rearrange the furniture, I'll feel better about it all. Yesterday could have been a huge disaster: there was a mix-up on the company's end concerning our rental moving truck, and after a series of flailing and confusion and phone calls, we were able to actually move into the new place two days early. We checked out of our old apartment an hour earlier than we were scheduled to this morning, and the majority of the moving was done yesterday. Alisha still has some things coming tomorrow, but other than that, we're all done. It's just a matter of unpacking, organizing, and rearranging.

But then there's the issue with my tiny room. It's roughly 2/3 the size of the room I lived in at the old apartment, and I am at a loss as to what I should do with it. There's technically only one logical place for my bed if I want to get my desk in and have room to put my clothes. I have room for only one bookshelf, but that's not much of an issue because one of my bookshelves will be out in the living room, as will my TV and DVDs.

The upstairs living room is really wide and open, which is a huge plus. There's a faux-fireplace on one wall, and there are two big windows, which allows for a lot of light. The general arrangement of the ground floor is great. The floors creak a little, but it adds character. The basement, with the exception of the scary laundry room, is also fairly comfy, though it doesn't feel as open as the upstairs. Overall the house is alright. A little shabby, a little rough around the edges, but after we settle in, it will feel more like home.

Yesterday I purchased a fish-patterned shower curtain, and it has brightened up our shabby bathroom. Emma and Prairie bought an inflatable frog-shaped kiddie pool--complete with fountain--to celebrate having a back yard. We have a growing list of things to do now that we're moved in, but at least the hard part is over.

I shouldn't be so harsh on the Tiny Blue Room. What with the way my roommates and I had decided who'd be living where, and the fact that I was essentially last in claiming a room, it is only fair. And I hated myself for being so disappointed yesterday afternoon as I walked through it the first time. We have a decent house to live in. But when there are expectations, and you get so invested in them...

So. Many. Feelings.

The Tiny Blue Room does have a ceiling fan and two windows, one on each wall that faces the back and side yards. So much light can come into the room, and if you open the blinds, you can see the blue of the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment