Thursday, May 19, 2011

Glee and "Yeah!"

This week's Yay/Nay for "Funeral" will be posted tomorrow (if everything goes as planned--it's been a busy day, and tomorrow is sure to be busy as well)...but I simply could not wait to comment on this.

Behold, the Glee version of Usher's "Yeah!" performed by "a rival glee club." This is the moment in which the 15ish year-old inside of me leaps for joy because this song is awesome, and this version is awesome, and if I were in a club and this came on the speakers, I would lose it. Okay, that's not entirely true: I lose it whenever I hear it regardless of the current location. And granted, it won't ever be as good as the original, but man is it legit.

You know what else I love about it (and about what kinds of things Glee does in general)? The fact that it sounds like it is performed by primarily girls and the song itself is societally deemed to be sung only by a male performer; I'm no expert to speak at length about gender issues, but I am certainly interested in it. It's very much like the Warblers' performing "Bills, Bills, Bills"--the lyrics are not changed (or if at all, the changes are minor). Glee has played with gender issues before (exhibit A being Kurt singing "Defying Gravity" in season one), and I love it. I might have to return to this topic at a later date....hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment