Sunday, May 22, 2011

Little Known Fact #1




I'm fairly sure that this scene is the reason I love drawing so much.* I mean, I drew all the time when I was little (when I wasn't reading, anyway), and Mom taught me almost everything I knew about art until I got to college. But this scene fascinated me, captured my heart and my attention and my wonder, captivated me so much that it still haunts me today. I struggle to find the words to truly explain to you the feeling.

This is drawing. I mean, really drawing. There isn't much else like it.

*There are many other forms of inspiration that I cling to regarding drawing and focusing on the figure--including but not limited to Caravaggio, Sidney Goodman, Degas, etc.--but this is one of the very first ones. (Well, this and The Little Mermaid. I know it sounds weird, but seriously--I probably would be doing something very different had I not grown up with either that or Beauty and the Beast. The first of many "defining moments.")

No comments:

Post a Comment