Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Graham Little, "Daffodil Shoe Lady"

For the Human Form and Composition class I'm taking this intersession, we had to look at a few artists of our choosing (master or no, old or contemporary) from which we are to incorporate elements, styles, techniques, etc into our own exploration of depicting/presenting the figure. Because I'm bad at making a single choice, I decided to pull from two or more artists (because I'm doing that kind of thing anyway with my own work). Two of my favorites artists I looked up again were Caravaggio and Degas, but I felt like I should look at some contemporary figurative artists as well.

The third I chose was Graham Little, a British artist who works in colored pencil (!!!). I googled his work to refresh my memory and found this piece:


I can't stop looking at it. I LOVE IT. Also, for some inexplicable reason, all I can think about when I look at it is Tennyson's "The Lady of Shalott." (Which, incidentally, is one of my favorite poems and the inspiration for another of my favorite paintings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment