Thursday, May 26, 2011

Today's Art Moment....

...comes from the portraits of Emma Watson by Mark Demsteader. GORGEOUS.* The absence and simultaneous presence of marks and value, how mute some of the value is, the simple linework...and each piece is unique while still fitting with the others. I can't get over it.

This kind of thing always makes me really happy. I have a much bigger appreciation for abstract now than I did two years ago, but this kind of thing is what I'll always have love and adoration for. I am determined to try to preserve traditional methods for handling the figure in my work as much as I can while also experimenting and pushing it to see where it takes me. Artists like Mark Demsteader, Graham Little, Elizabeth Peyton, and many others are hugely inspirational for me in this respect. Modern art is not just limited to abstract (though it's certainly a huge part of it, as is seen in these works.) Wonderful, wonderful stuff.

*Sidenote: Have I mentioned how much I LOVE Emma Watson?


Source: The Leaky Cauldron

No comments:

Post a Comment