Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Glee Project Round-Up, 1x01, "Individuality"

So here's my thing with The Glee Project. I had not originally planned to watch it, because I have mixed feelings about reality shows (the only one I watch--if I happen to catch it--is America's Next Top Model, but even that is seldom). I didn't want a stigma associated with a show that I'm so passionate about, and I just wasn't sure what was to be gained from going through with the idea. Most importantly, I didn't want Glee, the only current television show that I have not yet gotten tired of (and actually enjoyed completely), to be tainted by this thing that I could not fathom.

But after thinking about it a LOT, I decided at the very last minute that I would watch it. I was curious. I wanted the contestants--and most especially the winner--to prove to me that this was worth it. And I really wanted to see them as the character they are playing, not the person. I wanted to see what they could bring.

And thus begins the Round-Up.


  • I'm digging the general arrangement of the episode. The structure itself feels organic to what they're wanting to do with it, and I was not bored at all (In fact, I was surprised a couple of times because there was so much in there). The time is well used, and I think that if they continue in this vein, it will keep things interesting. Plus, it means less drama stuff and more doing stuff. I'm more concerned with the "doing stuff" part. 
  • "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" is such a great song. Please explain to me why they haven't yet done it on Glee?
  • Have I mentioned how awesome Darren Criss is? I loved how constructive and thorough his thoughts were when he was critiquing the contestants' performances. (And it was nice to see the quick clip of his advice to Matheus.) Darren definitely knows what he's doing, and it shows. I hope this kind of thing continues.
  • I LOVED Hannah, Alex, Cameron, Damian, and Matheus. To me, they felt the most in tune and honest with their own individuality, and were not afraid to be themselves.  
  • I wasn't so impressed with Lindsay. She was borderline for me this week (and I feel like it's going to get worse as the weeks go on.) I'm also not sure how to handle Samuel, but I have some hope for the future....Marissa, too, is borderline. 
  • Let's talk professionalism for a second. Emily does not seem to have nor understand it. Her superficial attitude aside, it was not okay for her to be flirting with the guest judge, and I had the feeling every time I face-palmed that she didn't quite understand what Glee is about--and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with her hair flip or her chest (and though she claims the otherwise, flipping her hair does NOT make her different. Being more than what's on the outside does). There's a difference between having attitude and being conceited. I'm having trouble being patient with her inappropriate (and often sickeningly on the verge of suggestive) demeanor, and I sincerely hope that she is eliminated soon. I think I read somewhere that she was trained at LaGuardia in NYC--and I am not seeing anything I expected from a student from such a significant performance institution. You know? 
  • I wasn't sure what to do with Bryce. He, like Emily, seemed unprofessional in some of his interactions, and I felt he kept flip-flopping in what he was about. I didn't mind his elimination. I think he'll go really far, I just feel Glee isn't going to get him there. 
  • I really like how there is a constant critique going on. It's really interesting to see the judges' process and to see them working with each of the kids to overcome and achieve the goals they've been given. (And I love how honest Zach and Robert are with them. There's no sugar-coating.)
  • Oh, first episode naivety. You're so funny. What you don't realize is that you all will, at some point, be at each other's throats. That's how reality shows work. The drama is what people will return to. 
  • Best moment this episode? Hands down Damian's performance of "Jesse's Girl"--and Ryan Murphy's reaction. And after all that? Damian kept his cool and handled it really well. Cool points to him. Awesome. 
  • I love the constant reminders/tidbits about the original show. The judges urging them to be themselves, to be okay with themselves and the mistakes they make, because that is part of what makes them who they are. 

Well. Let's see how next week goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment