Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Some Points of Interest for 28 June

First, a friend of mine on Facebook linked to a picture of this Sign of Awesome. It kind of made my day.

Second, John Green has released the title of his new book, which will rock the world's socks off for sure. If you have not read any of his previous books, go now to your local library or bookstore. I'd start with Paper Towns; others would argue with me and insist on Looking for Alaska. And yes, Will Grayson, Will Grayson counts. When it comes down to it though, it does not matter, because all of them are AMAZING. John Green is a brilliant writer; you won't be disappointed.

Third, and most annoyingly, Meghan Cox Gurden responds to the uproar following her previous opinion piece. I have a hard time finding her argument sound, but I'd rather not think on it too much because it makes my brain hurt. This article has enflamed Twitter and the rest of the internet once again, even more so than her first, it seems. Two rebuttals I really like come from Gayle Forman and Bookshelves of Doom. Both are incredibly insightful but also offer different criticisms, which ups the awesomeness of each. Agreed, agreed, agreed. As for my thoughts...they are many, but one of the things that upsets me the most is that she suggests that adolescence--and all complications that come with it--can, essentially, be forgotten, like those things (some which are terrible) won't carry with you as you get older. As someone who's still trying to understand the complex and often inexplicable issues with change-overs in friends, the little things that were actually kind of huge, and has since developed a very poor sense of self-esteem from all the teasing and the unkind words, I beg to differ. YA helped me (and still does) understand myself in relation to the world, and it sure as hell didn't matter what the subject was, because I gained so much from every single YA book I read. There is a true reflection of ourselves that can be found there. It may not have the ultimate sense of influence, but even the smallest connection makes a difference.

Anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment